“Do you own a pair of steel-toed boots?” my co-worker asked me. And I had to answer “no.” And I must confess, I felt more than a little bit unmanly doing so. Given where I work, it’s kind of a funny question. But I needed some apparently, so went to Wal-Mart to pick up a pair.
I haven’t used them yet, and doubt I will use them more than once or twice a year. If that. But just owning them, I feel better. Because it occurs to me that this is one of those things that it is just manly to own.
What else is on this list? And how do I stack up?
(1) Truck (nope)
(2) Motorcycle (no, but I really want one. I owned a pedal-start moped once, does that count?)
(3) Guns (none. Had a pellet/BB gun as a kid, and wouldn’t mind having one now, but there is nowhere to shoot it. My son would love it, I’m sure, but he’s only six. I got mine when I was 13, and that was NOT old enough, safety-wise. The things we used to do… Come to think of it, there is probably never a safe time/age for a boy to own a gun, BB or otherwise).
(4) Knives (we got a set for our wedding; don’t suppose I get any points for those).
(5) Dog (nope. No pets of any kind).
(6) Power tools (none I have bought myself. Inherited some used ones from a former co-worker, but only because he was upgrading and, I think, felt sorry for me in the manliness department).
(7) Big barbeque grill (no. The only barbeque I own is a teeny rusted out Hibachi number we inherited from the girl who owned our last house. And she was a single girl, a graduate student in music, who taught violin lessons. It uses charcoal, so that feels manly, but the fact that this girl owned it, I think, pretty much negates any man points. Dang it!).
(8) Big screen TV (NO!).
(I’m not doing too well).
(9) Fishing gear (yes! Some! A regular pole and a fly rod. I don’t use them a ton, but I own them, and that should count for something).
(10) Golf clubs (yes! I suck, but I own them. Points to me!)
(11) Weight set (for sure! VERY manly in this department!!!)
(12) Punching bag (ditto! Sure, it’s not up right now, and is lying in very unmanly and unused fashion in my garage. But once it gets up, watch out! Shirtless punching sessions to ensue).
I guess that’s about it. I’m sure I’m missing something. Several things, probably. What else goes on the man gear list? What am I missing? How do you stack up?