There is a guy across the hall who has hired a laundry service. At night, he leaves a bag of laundry outside his office. In the morning, there are cleaned and pressed shirts hanging from the door, as if by magic. Don’t get me wrong, if I had money to burn, I would be all about fresh pressed shirts that I didn’t have to launder or iron. But if I had that kind of surplus, there are other things I would do first.
Specifically, I would look into the following, not necessarily in this order, but definitely before paying someone else to do my laundry:
- Masseuse- this might seem considerably less practical, but I love massages, and I think this would improve my personal happiness exponentially.
- Brazilian jiu jitsu gym membership- I work out on my own, and have some good equipment in my basement, but I would like to get back into fight training. If it weren’t so freaking expensive…
- Maid- I know, I know, this is kind of like the laundry service, but I actually don’t mind doing laundry. I kind of find it therapeutic, in fact. But it’s hard to keep the rest of the house clean, and I think some help here would make everyone’s life better.
- Yoga classes- because they are very calming and keep me centered.
- More books- because you can always use more books.
- Amazon Prime- mainly because it would just provide me better, quicker, cheaper access to books, but also because they have good movies now and I think it would be fun.
- Writing classes- I like to write, and do some on my own, but a class would keep me accountable, would provide some guidance, and would let me meet other like-minded people.
- Travel- because traveling is awesome and I haven’t been anywhere in way too long.
- Nanny- but not too hot of a nanny. It would just be nice, though, for a chance to get away and decompress and not have to constantly be on and present and “daddy.”
- A new bike- because my old one is broken and a piece of crap
- Or better yet, a motorcycle. Because why fix a bike when you could upgrade and look super tough in your leather jacket?
Anyone else? What would you do if you had a little bit extra? We all have different priorities, I’m just curious. Be as imaginative and irresponsible and imaginative as you want.